Celebration of the Bicentenary of Shirley’s Mill
In 1820 John Bourne and George Hudson started to produce bone flour for the developing pottery industry. It is known that they occupied the site of the present mill from before 1836 and possibly from the start of their business. Jesse Shirley was involved from the early days and his son (also Jesse Shirley) took over and expanded the business.
Shirley’s 1857 Etruscan Bone & Flint Mill in steam and operating 12.30 to 16.30 starting on the hour and operating as in Victorian times.
Site open 10.30 to 17.00.
Delayed by Covid, this year a celebration of the bicentenary will have a series of talks and walks (TBA) in the week beginning 26th July with Shirley’s 1857 Bone & Flint Mill ‘In Steam’ and operating as in Victorian times on 31st July and 1st August, 13.00 to 16.30 with engine starting on the hour from 13.00 to 16.00.
Entry to the Mill £4 per adult or £6 for a guided tour of the Mill (15 minutes past the hour from 12.00) children under 16 free.
Limited access to the mill for those with mobility difficulties